Bajna has been founded more than thousand years ago in one of the earliest populated areas in Hungary, which is currently Esztergom County. It was inhabited already during the Romans, and in 1087 it was mentioned as a larger catholic settlement. Because of its advantageous geographical location it is a favorite excursion spot for the lovers of hiking, cycling, riding, fishing and hunting. The settlement itself lies on an elevation, the white tower of the church from the Middle Ages, and the magnificent walls of Sándor-Metternich palace – currently under reconstruction – are calling the visitors already from the far. The landscape protection area only few kilometers away from Bajna shelters very precious flora and fauna. Just to mention a few examples: beautiful oak forests, sweet and horse chestnut groves, various iris types, small games and preying birds such as the Saker Falcon, Booted Eagle, Short-toed Eagle.
Roman catholic church
Built in 1484, originally with one nave in gothic style. The patron saint of the church is St. Adalbert bishop and martyr. The church was damaged during the Turkish occupation and subsequently rebuilt. It won its present baroque style in 1755 when Count Mihály Sándor the church’s patron at that time let it rebuild and enlarged. In 1885 two aisles have been added from the donation of archbishop János Simor former parson of Bajna. He has also initiated the building of the local elementary school which now wears his name.
Csima was historically the most significant village in the vicinity of Bajna. It was destroyed during the Tatar conquest but later rebuilt. In the XIV. century Csima even became the second largest settlement of the whole Esztergom County. Except for the church it was completely destroyed by the Turks. (As the excavations show the Turkish attack took the village totally by surprise the villagers apparently left the place in the middle of their everyday routine.) For centuries the lone church and the hermits that took care of it reminded the once flourishing place. The only thing that still remained is a small round elevation built from stone and brick called Csima – hill with a Calvary. On top of the hill is an old, red marble crucifix while the slope is studded with columns in baroque style representing the Stations of the Cross. (The Calvary has been rebuilt in 1993.)
Sándor Móric palace
In the center of the village stands a building in baroque style, built in 1741. It was rebuilt, to the plans of a well-known architect of his time, by count bajnai-szlavnyicai Móric Sándor also known as „Ördöglovas” (Devil’s rider), who was famous for his daredevil riding stunts. He built it to honor his wife-to-be, countess Leontina Metternich, the second born daughter of the feared chancellor of the Austro-Hungarian empire. The Sándor family built and maintained two famous residences, one in Esztergom and the Sándor – palace in Buda. Count Móric Sándor had an excellent stud on his ranch, which was famous countrywide. His sheep herd and Swiss dairy farm enjoyed good reputation as well.
German-Hungarian military cemetery
In the southeastern part of the village’s cemetery is an memorial inaugurated in 1992, where 147 German and 27 Hungarian soldiers are buried.